Do Your Homework Before Getting A New Pet  

Posted by Julie in

Many of us seasoned dog lovers already know the importance of doing your homework before bringing a new dog into your home. They are not only a huge emotional commitment, but a financial one as well. Do not make the mistake of seeing a certain breed and deciding you must have one of those. This is something I did years ago before we got our first weimaraner. I just knew that these were very unique-looking, beautiful gray dogs.....and I wanted one! Little did I know at the time that weimaraners are very high-energy dogs, prone to separation anxiety, needing lots of exercise, strong-willed, the list goes on and on! I absolutely adore weimies and we just adopted our second one, Cassie, but when we got our first one fourteen years ago, it would have been smart to study the breed before making the commitment....trust me!

Xin Lu over at Wisebread posted this week about things to consider when getting a pet. This post hits on many of the important things you need to look at when getting any new pet.

This entry was posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 at 6:07 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

Yup yup, very important to figure out what breed is best. I did a lot of research when I was looking... 9ish years ago. I looked at the border collie and realized they would be too much energy for me. I settled on the collie and I love them! I do have 2 border collies now, too, but my lifestyle can now support them.

March 7, 2008 at 12:40 PM

Thanks for stopping by Cynthia :)

March 7, 2008 at 5:19 PM

Post a Comment

***Breakthrough Dog Food Recipes***


Pledge to Fight Animal Cruelty